Karen MacGee, of Overland Park, was arguably the best amateur golfer – male or female – in the Kansas City area for more than two decades. Her playing record speaks volumes:
- 12 state amateur championships in between 1960 and 1979 (seven in Missouri, five in Kansas)
- eight KC Women’s Match Play championships from 1958 to 1980
- seven appearances in USGA Women’s Amateur from 1960 to 1979
- four appearances in the Women’s Trans-Miss Championship from 1958 to 1965
- five appearances in the Women’s Western Amateur from 1957 to 1972
- Women’s Intercollegiate National runner-up 1961
- four-time KCGA Woman Amateur Player of the year
- Karen was also inducted into the Kansas City Golf Association Hall of Fame in 2014.
In addition to her golf accomplishments, Karen earned a Masters in Education and taught in the Shawnee Mission and Kansas City school districts. She obtained a degree in Nursing and worked as a Coronary ICU nurse, later moving to administration with managed care providers. She has three sons and six grandchildren, all of whom live in the Kansas City area.